Thursday, February 08, 2007

I have a flat!!

Although I probably shouldn't say that until I've given the landlord the £50 I probably don't have... It's all far too complicated - I phoned the bank yesterday, and they said they can't send me out a new card (who the hell has a bank card that expires anyway?) until I have a real address, and apparently the hostel isn't "secure" (they should try leaving their swipe card in the bedroom!) enough; and I can't exactly get a new place until I have money to give the landlord. I should rename myself Yossarion...

So I went and saw two places yesterday. Oh my god. I got SO lost. I was supposed to be at Rossmore Ave (first one) at half eight. I shut down the computer I was working on my cv on (yes, losing it. GARGH! Can't believe I was so stupid!), grabbed my map and set off. Tip: look at the page with all the little roads on it, don't navigate (though apparently, strictly speaking, that only relates to seafaring) by the large one with main roads only. Several wrong turns later I got a phone call from Mr. Pteranadon, who seemed vastly amused by my rantings about lack of road names and offered to guide me from Google maps. This wasn't going to help me find unnumbered houses though. I mean... Anyway, only 25 minutes late, Rossmore is four rooms, two of them filled by a Swedish archaeologist (yes, blonde and hot) and a circus performer (who's apparently hardly ever there), and it's a bit of a hike from town. Nice big rooms though, and apparently the inmates both drink, even if they are vegetarians.

I eventually found the second, after walking almost all the way back to town (and then back again). Landseer St. has a pub on the corner (which makes up for no street sign), but it's quite small, and has only three rooms, which will probably be all girls, one of whom is an accountant. I think you know which one I've gone for.

I called the landlord this morning, and we're meeting tomorrow. He said he's been stung before by people saying they would take the room, but that I sound genuine. It fleetingly passed my mind that that could have been due to him not being able to understand a word I was saying.

I also sent my "beefed up" cv to the other agency this morning. He called up to make sure that I was, which I think is good. I feel quite productive really - just off to post my change of address notification to Scotland now.


No comments: