Saturday, January 13, 2007

Rather out of order

As it turns out I've been successfully avoiding computers like the plague recently, so this post heralds the fact that I've made it to Rathgormack. I'd add a link to where this is on a map, but I'm on dial up here (and the wind is playing havoc with the connection), so I'm about to pour a libation to Bacchus to celebrate the fact that I've managed to log in at all at all!

My cousin, Wonder Woman, and I had dinner at a pub (which didn't look anything like a New Zealand "Irish" pub) when I arrived (only an hour and a half late, I broke the weather this time). The food was grand, but I was far more excited by my first pint of Guinness. I even took a picture of it, which is still sitting on my phone. Damn it was good.

Yesterday we went and did a few things round Waterford, which included me drooling over flash home brochures in the parquet shop (Wonder Woman is an interior designer), and not buying clothes on special for €200. We also went food shopping in Dunnes Stores (I'm so back in Ireland), which is kind of the equivalent of New World or Food Town, except that they also sell clothes. It was strange to see prices in euro again. I wonder if they have a slang for it yet (à la bucks or quid)...

We did quite a bit of driving around yesterday, and it's amazing how different the houses look here. I remember on my first trip how I thought they all looked like concrete shoe boxes (I was a little more forthright in my opinions back then). I'll have to get some pics up.

I discovered when I put in my Irish sim card that it had expired because I hadn't used it for twelve months (was very unimpressed, because it didn't do that the last time), so I had to buy another one, which was no bother, but I forgot to get a charger at the same time; so now I'm sitting here watching the bar go yellow, and dreading the beepy noise it makes when it's dying...

1 comment:

Mike Bodnar said...

Mary, I'm jealous that you're there. Waterford's lovely, and not a million miles from Blarney, which is where my great Grandfather used to be head gardner for the Coldhurst family, who still own the mansion (called locally the "New Mansion") behind the castle. If you get a chance, call into the cottage that overlooks the market garden (accessible on the wee road behind the castle) and say hello to the occupants, who should be a youngish colleen called Effem, or Effit,or Effey or something and her husband. Their babe, which was a scant neonate when I was there two/three years ago should now be an ankle-biter. Beware!
Give Effey/Effem/Effit/Feckit my warm regards. remind her that I was the motrbike-kitted-out stranger who knowcked on her door one June day in 2005.